Monday, April 19, 2010

Day 5: Wedding Time!

The main reason we traveled to North Carolina was to attend a wedding. Let me give you a quick background. In 1993, my mum and dad got divorced. I was 11 years old, entering 6th grade. Shortly after my mum moved out, she had this guy living with her. To an 11 year old this was horrible. You don't want someone to replace your dad, you want your parents back together. His name is Dan. In 1996, my mum and Dan got married. I was in the wedding and I HATED every minute of it. I was 13, and I didn't like this guy who was taking the place of my dad. *BTW, I lived with my dad, so he was still very much in my life*

After a couple of years, I warmed up to this guy. We laughed a lot, and he was goofy just like the rest of my family (in a good way, of course). He was the one who taught me how to drive. He'd pick me up at my dad's house and we'd run errands or whatever every Wednesday night. The guy who tested me for my license asked if I was taught in Driver's Ed. Nope, just by my step-Dan. :) He became my second dad. In 2001, my mum and Dan moved all the way down to NC to be closer to my mum's sister.

Around the time of my wedding, my mum and Dan were going through some rough times and we're separated, but he still flew across the country to see me get married.

IMG_0844
Dan and I in Vegas for my wedding

Later that year (I think) they ended up getting divorced. It was actually harder than I thought it would be. Being an adult now going through another divorce. Even though he wasn't my biological father, he was just as much a dad to me than my real dad.

A few years ago, we went for a visit and he wanted us to meet his new girlfriend, Michelle. We all went to dinner and she was a really nice person. They got engaged and that is the reason we went to NC. Their wedding. :)

I can honestly say, I'm so happy that he's found someone that makes him happy. I feel so touched that he invited Russ and I to his wedding. He didn't have to... I am after all no longer related to him. He's been a big part of my life growing up and I wouldn't have missed it.

The wedding was beautiful as was the bride. I got teary eyed as usual. :)

DSC_2038
Pretty church

DSC_2055
Married!

DSC_2069
Mmmmm, cake.

DSC_2108
First Dance

DSC_2032
Russ and I all dressed up.

2 comments:

Alysha said...

aww what a sweet post! You are such a good daughter in law to do that for him! :)
I found you via D Listed and I absolutely love your blog! I hope youll come follow me back!

www.thetarrpit.blogspot.com

alysha

Alissa said...

Love the pictures! You two are precious.

Related Posts with Thumbnails