Friday, June 10, 2011

Baby Food

I finally got the things I needed to start making our own baby food. I've been researching different containers to freeze/store it in. I came across these at Target today:


They are perfect and CHEAP! They're actually on sale this week for $2.12. I'm sure if you looked hard enough you could find a coupon to go with them. I picked up 3 packs, so I have 24 mini pots to store food.

The process was pretty easy. I chose to make carrots. I did buy a bag of frozen, but you can use fresh if you have the time to cut them up. I just popped them into my steamer. I have this one. I steamed for about 15-20 minutes because they were frozen. I then took about half the bag and put it into my Magic Bullet with about 1/2-1 cup of water to blend.

I made sure there weren't any pieces that didn't get pureed and poured the mixture into the pots. Simple! Here is the final product.

DSC_5514

I let them cool down, put the lids on and popped them into the freezer. I labeled them with a dry-erase marker, so it comes off easily.

DSC_5517

Tada! It was so simple and inexpensive. I paid $1.09 for the bag of carrots. Those pots are $2.12, and hold 4oz, so I can get 2 servings out of 1 pot. Not including the price of the pots, I made 16 servings for about $.15/serving.

I'm going to make sweet potatoes, green beans, apples, bananas, and squash. I have a bunch of recipes for stage 2 foods as well.

If you just take the time to make your own, it's so much cheaper than buying store bought.

3 comments:

Melissa @ Growing Up Geeky said...

I can't wait to see pics of how she likes them :)

Heather C said...

Ooo, I LOVED making baby food. I wanna do it again! P.S. Another option for freezing is to use ice cube trays. Once frozen, pop them out and store in ziploc containers or bags. 1 cube is a pretty decent serving for the beginning and then just double/triple up as baby grows. Again. I LOVED making baby food, lol.

Mandy Vallejo said...

That's awesome! I want to start making my own baby food so I always like seeing how other people do it. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails