Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Tasty Thursday: Homemade Mac n Cheese

*not mine, I needed a photo*
This is a recipe that's been changed a little. My mother used to make it for us growing up and it's my favorite macaroni and cheese. Definitely beats the box kind. Plus, my 2 year old loves it! All these measurements are a guess, I don't even use measuring cups. I've made it so many times that I just eye it.

1 box of macaroni noodles (or any type of noodle for that matter, I've used penne a few times)
1 block sharp cheddar cheese (cubed)
1 block mild cheddar cheese (cubed)
1 tablespoon flour
2 tablespoon butter
2 cups milk (I use 1 or 2%)
Dijon mustard
paprika
salt
pepper

1. Cook noodles to al dente.

2. In a saucepan, melt butter and add flour. It will look like a paste, if its too clumpy, add more butter, if its too runny, add more flour.

3. Stir in milk using a whisk. Make sure to add it slow. Heat, stirring frequently.

4. Add cheese, saving a few cubes for later. Stir frequently.

5. After cheese has melted, add salt, pepper, and mustard. Start little with the mustard and taste it, add more if you like a little more bite to your sauce.

6. Combine noodles and sauce into an oven safe bowl/casserole dish.

7. Put reserved cheese on top and sprinkle with paprika.

8. Bake @ 400 degrees for 20-30 minutes or until cheese is melted on top and it's bubbling.

9. Let set for 10 minutes before eating.

10. Enjoy! Makes awesome leftovers as well. :)





No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails