Monday, January 17, 2011

Alexandria's Birth Story

My story begins around 36 weeks. I had a follow up ultrasound to see if baby had flipped over in to vertex position. No such luck. Baby was in frank breech. With this new information, my doctor gave me my options and I chose to schedule a c-section. I figured if she flipped in the meantime, that's great. If not, then we had a time and date.


I was told not to drink/eat anything after midnight, so I drank some juice and had some toast before heading to bed. BAD idea. Baby was doing all kinds of dancing around in there for HOURS. I was so anxious as it was, but now I had this very active baby kicking and poking me. I ended up getting about 2 hours of sleep.

Woke up, took a shower, shaved my legs because I figured I wouldn't be able to for awhile. Got dressed. Got Olivia up and gave her breakfast. Spent my last hour with her as a family of 3.

Got to the hospital and checked into registration. Thankfully, I had pre-registered a month ago, so I didn't have to fill out any paperwork. Got my hospital band on and waited for the nurse to take me back to Pre-Op.

Walked back to Pre-Op. Got undressed and laid down on the very uncomfortable beds they have down there. The nurse tells me she's going to get someone down there to scan me to make sure of baby's position before doing anything invasive. Meanwhile, she took my vitals and baby's vitals. Just sat around talking and answering 100 questions.

Finally, someone came down and scanned me. It seemed like baby was in transverse position. They used one of those hand held u/s things, so my doctor wanted to come down and scan me herself with a full size ultrasound to see how this baby was laying. If she was transverse and back down towards my cervix, I would have to get a vertical insicion. While we were waiting for my doctor, they started the IV. A young nurse tried on my right arm and kept poking around in there. I got very light-headed, and was about nearly passed out. They even used smelling salts on me to get me to come back. The older nurse took my left arm and just did the IV while I was half passed out. After about 5 minutes, I felt a lot better and IV fluids were started.

My doctor comes down for the ultrasound. Baby is complete breech. *sitting Indian-style, head up* She plans on the normal bikini line cut and gets ready in the OR for me.

Doctors doing my spinal come talk to me and ask questions. I sign the consent forms. Nurse shaves my belly and uses some wet/cold antiseptic to clean the area.

I walk into the OR. Get on the table. The nurse gets me into position for my spinal and she holds my hand the whole time. Asking me about Olivia and how excited she is to be a big sister. The spinal is done, didn't hurt at all. My bum goes numb and I'm quickly put into position on the table. They're moving my legs around, but I can't really feel what they're doing. The doctor kept poking me asking if I could feel this or that. I could feel, but I couldn't. Very strange feeling. The drape was put up and Russ was brought back in. I heard the doctor say she was starting. I felt a lot of josling around and pressure but nothing painful.

Alexandria Kay was born!
7lbs 5oz
20.25 inches long
3 minutes before her big sister was born!

The next 20-30 minutes were me being stitched back together, cleaning the baby up, and Russ leaving me to go into recovery. Alex stayed with me the whole time, but I didn't get to hold her until I was wheeled back into recovery.
I couldn't hold her for about 3 hours afterwards because I was shaking so badly from the spinal. It happened with the epidural with Olivia as well. I was also a bit out of it because they had me on some pain medications through my IV. I think we were in recovery for about 3 hours.

Pretty simple birth story. Being that I've done it both naturally and c-section, I would definitely choose to go natural again if we were having more children. The c-section was nice because it was fast and scheduled. But, recovery has been very painful. I feel bruised all over my abdominal area, inside and out. Every day gets easier, but those first 2-3 days were terrible. I'm also much more restricted this time. I can't pick my little girl up for 2 weeks. :(

In the end, we got Alex here the safest way. Apparently, her cord was around her neck and trying a version might have put her in distress.


MamaMonki said...

I'm glad she arrived safely!! She's beautiful. What does Olivia think of her?

Mommy on the go! said...

Amy you are going to have to keep the posts coming! I just sat here and read pretty much everything you've ever posted on here and just laughed! You are so quiet in "real life", but very openly opinionated on your blog. That's super cool! Congrats on the new baby! We can't wait to see her!

Anonymous said...

It's an remarkable piece of writing in support of all the web people; they will take benefit from it I am sure.

Also visit my webpage; Patra Bali Resort Bali Indonesia

Anonymous said...

I am sure this post has touched all the internet visitors, its really really nice piece of writing on building up new website.

My webpage Laguna Resort Spa Nusa Dua Bali Indonesia

Anonymous said...

I like the helpful info you provide in your articles.
I will bookmark your blog and check again here regularly.

I'm quite certain I'll learn many new stuff right here!

Best of luck for the next!

Also visit my site; Durban Stadium Seating Chart

Related Posts with Thumbnails